How To Treat a Painful Pimple

A pimple is an elevation and inflammation of the skin and could be with or without pus. It is caused by the dead skin cells' blockage to the pores. Once our pores are blocked, the discharge of the sebaceous glands, the sebum, which is the oil that protects our skin and hair from drying, accumulates beneath the clogged pores together with various bacteria and dead skin cells. This causes pimple outbreaks. Pimples, especially when infected with bacteria, can be extremely painful even to the slightest touch. The excruciating pain might tempt you to squeeze that little pimple just to ease your misery, but don't do that just yet!

Squeezing, popping, picking, scratching or doing anything to manipulate the pimple by non-professionals is absolutely NOT recommended. The pus that we extract with our mere fingers only constitutes 40% of the pimple and squeezing or popping it would just push the remaining 60% of the pimple farther into the skin. It could also cause infection and scarring.

Here are ways to lessen pimple and its pain.

  1. Use benzoyl peroxide twice a day. It is an over the counter topical cream used for acne.
  2. Take acnezine, an oral treatment for acne.
  3. Wash your face at least twice a day.
  4. Run a washcloth under cold water and drape it over your face. This will relieve pain.
  5. Seek a dermatologist's advice

However, if you're dealing with an agonizingly painful pimple, popping it might be worth the risk. Here's what you should do:

  1. Know what pimple to pop. There are two important types of pimple to consider before squeezing it: the shy pimple and the confident pimple. The shy pimples are the ones that bury themselves deep in the skin refusing to come out. Painful? Yes but at least they save us our pride. Don't squeeze this pimple because chances are, they would be pushed farther away and can even cause infection. The confident pimples are the ones that we need, the ones with the head.
  2. Wash your hands. Do this before and after the procedure. Make sure to clean the spaces under your nail beds and that your nails are cut short.
  3. Use a hot compress. Heat is a dilator so it opens the pores and makes it less traumatic for the skin when you do the procedure.
  4. Commit the murder. It is now time to put your suffering to an end. Gently squeeze the pimple using sterile gauze. Squeeze it until the pus comes out. You'd know you're done when the purulent discharge becomes clear and soon after, blood comes out. If it's too painful to squeeze, you could poke it using a sterilized needle. Sterilize the needle with the use of an open flame.
  5. Use a cold compress. Using a cold compress constricts the pores prohibiting the entry of dirt.

There won't be any painful pimple if we take good care of our skin. Wash your face twice a day, eat a nutritious diet, exercise regularly, avoid stress and don't deprive yourself of sleep. Let me just clarify again that squeezing, poking and popping your pimples is not advisable. Go to your dermatologist and leave everything to the professionals; we owe that much to our skin.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: