How To Prevent Bone Density Loss

Bone density loss, or osteoporosis is a kind of bone disease that leads to an increase rate of fractures. Bones are a major part of the skeletal system. They protect us from harm, give shape to our bodies, and make blood cells. Bone fractures are the breaking or separation of a bone, sometimes in two or three parts. Bone density, on the other hand, is the amount of matter in the bone. What is a test for the measurement bone density, you might ask? It's called bone densitometry. Bone density loss affects a large amount of the population, especially post-menopausal women because of the decreased amount of estrogen produced by the body. However, it may also occur in men of any age and women of any age if they have a hormonal imbalance. Because of a decrease in bone strength, there is higher risk of fractures and lethal complications regarding bone density loss. This article will help you in learning about how to prevent bone density loss.

  1. Diet - They say milk is good for the bones. Well they're right. Milk has a lot of absorbable calcium that can be good to increase the amount of bone matter in the bones. However, as milk is high in fat, choose brands that are low-fat, especially if you have other complications like obesity or high blood pressure. Other foods that are high in calcium are broccoli, nuts, figs, beans and greens. Another important vitamin is Vitamin C. The bone is 30% organic matter and studies show that 90 – 95% of this matter is collagen. Vitamin C aids in Collagen production and helps in strengthening the bones. All in all, a diet rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin D and Calcium will help you strengthen your bones.
  2. Lifestyle - Your lifestyle affects your health as much as your diet does. To prevent bone density loss, a healthy lifestyle is recommended by most orthopedic surgeons. Smoking causes smoking related problems like osteoporosis. Also, even if you eat a lot of calcium-rich food, Vitamin D is needed to process this raw calcium into something the body can use. Your skin makes most of the Vitamin D in your body when it comes in contact with the sun, so exercise in the morning! Alcohol, on the other hand, increases the risk of osteoporosis by a large percentage. Even the consumption of two to three ounces of alcohol is said to increase the production of the parathyroid hormones, which decrease the calcium reserves of the body. As 99% of the body's calcium reserves are found in the bone (the other 1% being in the blood) there is a greater chance of contracting this deadly bone disease.
  3. Overall Health - If you are over the age of forty, get yourself checked out! There's nothing wrong with trips to the doctor, especially since it may lengthen your life. You can do this while going for your monthly examinations or you can request for your company to tap into your medical savings fund. Ask for a good orthopedic surgeon or an orthopedist or have one referred to you by your personal doctor.

Bone density loss, all in all, is a very preventable and curable disease. There are a lot of medications on the market and a lot of ways to prevent it, like scans for bone density. As this disease has a higher rate of hitting the elderly, people over the age of forty should get regular checkups not just with orthopedists, but also with other kinds of doctors in general.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: