How To Compare Types of Insulation System

Insulating a house or building not only provides comfort to its occupants, but it gives more advantages such as lowering the utility bill, reducing greenhouse gas emission and increasing its resale value. An insulation system fills the gaps between conditioned indoor spaces and unconditioned outdoor spaces. The uncomfortable feeling of an occupant of a building or house is due to the radiant heat exchange of his body to the surrounding interior surfaces. When insulation is increased, it reduces the heat exchange, thus a level of comfort is achieved.

Prior to insulating your house, it is necessary to be familiar first with the R-value of insulating materials. R-value specifies how well the insulating materials hold back heat, or its thermal resistance. R-value is directly proportional with the thickness of the material, the thicker the material the higher its thermal resistance value. Typically, with a higher thermal resistance value your house is better insulated, however R-value requirement depends on the kind of room you are insulating and your house's location.

The major home insulation system types available in the market today are:

  1. Rolled (or Batt) Insulation
  2. Rigid Insulation
  3. Blown-In Fiberglass Insulation
  4. Sprayed Polyurethane Foam Insulation.

Rolled (r Batt) Insulation is appropriate for installation in between standard wall studs, ceiling rafters, or floor joists. This is made of fiberglass made to fit spacing sixteen or twenty four inches on center. Rolls are continuous and may be cut according to the required lengths, while Batts are pre-cut already.

Rigid insulation is extremely lightweight, due to its plastic foam material. The said material is filled with air cells and is cut in different standard size sheets. Rigid insulation is the best to use in insulating exterior foundation walls and the interior of basement walls, for it provides thermal and acoustical insulation.

For attic or wall insulation, blown-in fiberglass insulation is what you need. For the installation of this type of insulation system, however, you will need a professional installer. This type of insulation material is called blown-in, since you will need a blower and hopper in blowing the insulation into the wall and attic spaces. Through the blower and hopper, the small loose fiberglass pellets are blown in.

Unlike the rolled (or batt) insulation and rigid insulation, sprayed polyurethane requires a professional installer. This type of insulation system has excellent R-value compared to the other three types of insulation. Since this is sprayed in, the tiniest seams and cracks of the room to be insulated are properly sealed.

When homes are properly insulated, less energy is needed to heat or cool them, thus it lowers the cost of energy consumption. Potential buyers would definitely prefer to buy a house that is properly insulated rather than not. According to the Energy Pulse Survey, more people would choose an insulated house due to its energy efficiency. Energy efficiency is achieved by insulating your house or building.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: