Expediting USA Passports: New Passports and Renewal

Learn How To Expedite a US Passport and the Extra Cost Involved

Photo of validated passport

If you need to get a new passport immediately, there are ways that you can expedite the process.  This article will show you how to get your passport expedited; however, it will require a few extra steps to get your travel documents and -- you guessed it -- a few extra dollars to accomplish.  You can expedite your passport renewal or application process whether you are mailing your forms in or turning them in at a local agency or acceptance facility.  To get your US passport quickly, utilize the following steps:

  1. Include an extra $60 with your passport forms and documents.  To get them within 2 weeks, you will be charged an extra $60 and you will be responsible for two-way overnight delivery fees.  If you are mailing in your forms you will have to include the appropriate forms and payments (whether you're renewing your passport or applying for a new one) along with an additional $60 to the US Department of State.  If you're walking into a passport office to get an application in person, the  facility should be able to instruct about how to include the expedited fee.
  2. Overnight your passport forms to National Passport Processing.  If you are sending your  application form overnight, mail them to:

    National Passport Processing
    Attn: Department 13349
    1617 Brett Road
    New Castle, DE 19720

    Make sure to include a prepaid overnight return envelope for the passport office.

  3. Write EXPEDITED on your envelope.  Make it apparent that you are requesting an expedited passport.  You don't want your envelope to be moved to the bottom of the pile because you haven't clearly marked your envelope.  Write "expedited" in big, bold letters on both the front and back of your envelope.

If you're sending your passport from an acceptance facility, make sure that they follow the steps above as well.  You should now get it in about 2 weeks instead of the standard 6-8 weeks.  If you have an emergency and need a passport immediately, you should call the National Passport Information Center.  

There are also services that can get you and/or your family USA passports in as little as 24 hours.  These services will likely charge you more than the additional $60 that the US Department of State charges, and their fees will likely be in addition to the government fees already discussed.  Services' fees will also vary based on how quickly you need it.  These services can be costly, but may be worth it if you urgently need your passport.


Share this article!

Follow us!

Find more helpful articles: